I grew up watching my grandma mix aromatic ingredients including garlic, peppers, onions and other ingredients to make this yummy cooking base. We don’t use store bought sofrito in our house. Sofrito is used when making rice, soups, beans, meats and other dishes. Below is my own recipe I use to make sofrito. These ingredients are just enough to make a small container. You can easily double or triple the ingredients to make more. Sofrito should be refrigerated if used within a week. If you plan on using it later, place container in the freezer.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red pepper, cut into small chunks
- 2 green peppers, cut into small chunks
- 1 large onion (red or spanish), chopped
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- a large handful of cilantro or parsley
Put all ingredients in a blender and mix until it forms a creamy paste. It should look like this: