It’s my birthday today. Woohoo!
I’ve never been one to worry about aging. I am a huge fan of birthdays and I look at it as a celebration. 26 feels different. I feel different. Like I’m supposed to be wiser or something. I always think something major is going to happen once my birthday arrives. As if I will undergo some sort of personal transformation or something. Not this time. I’m just me. I’ve realized that personal growth doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a process.
Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way:
1. Trust your instincts. Learn to trust yourself because that voice inside you know’s what’s up.
2. Cherish your loved ones. We shouldn’t let our busy lives get in the way of picking up the phone and calling your grandma or cousin who lives far away just to say hii.
3. Your family and friends are your support system. The people in your life now are chosen by YOU for a reason so make sure you lean on them for support when needed. You can’t be Superwoman alone.
4. The past is exactly that. Stop thinking “woulda coulda shoulda” because what is done is done. Focus on the present and how you are going to make today better than yesterday.
5. People will always have something to say. I have slowly grown out of my people pleasing ways. That is also a process in progress. If you don’t do what you know will make you happy, you will grow to be resentful and that sucks. As Dr. Seuss said “Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter, don’t mind.”
6. Stop being so hard on yourself. Everyone leads different paths. Do what works for you. No one is perfect so acknowledge all you’ve accomplished.
7. If you want something done, get up and do it already. Procrastination leads to discontentment.
8. Organize!!! A clearly coordinated closet is a happy girl in the morning.
9. Relationships (romantical ones) teach you a lot about yourself. The standards you set for yourself determine how you will be treated. Self esteem plays a BIG part.
10. Be nice. At the end of the day, you want to go home feeling good about yourself knowing you didn’t hurt someone intentionally with your words.
11. Nip it in the butt. If you let issues fester, they will only explode in your face leaving you with a wth expression on your face.
12. Read a lot. Or cook, dance, sing, play sports….do whatever the heck floats your boat because you need it to live a life full of joy. It will keep you from pulling your hair out at your job.
13. Your personal space reflects you. Whenever my house has random piles everywhere, you know I am not having a great week. Your mood is linked to your environment. Even if you aren’t feeling peachy, take the time to declutter. It really helps.
14. stop stressing about money. Bills will Always be there. Does that mean you should devote 99% of your time dwelling on why you can’t get a much needed manicure because you have to pay rent, buy food, clean laundry, etc? NO.
15. Develop your personal style. You will feel more confident and ready to take on the world if you wear colors and textures that scream YOU.
16. Education doesn’t always equal big bucks. Ask anyone seeking employment with a college degree. Enough said.
17. Life is hard stuff. On an average salary, I’d like to know how twenties people are supposed to pay rent, cook healthy meals, maintain a grown up wardrobe, pay bills, pay off credit card or school loans and still save money for a house.
18. Spend your time wisely. If you ask me which I’d rather do: Go out partying all night or stay home watching my shows or reading? Best believe I’m choosing my shows. I don’t care if it makes me sound old but I have a lot to do and I NEED my R&R.
19. Tell your people you love them. Don’t let life pass without letting the people in your life who make you feel special that you think the world of them. It’s just not cool.
20. Stop committing to long lists. Look I did 20 and it’s just too much. Thanks for reading.
Share your wise words below.